IAGA is organised into six Divisions and four Interdivisional Commissions each led by a Chair and Co-Chair. Each Division/Commission may form Working Groups in specialist topic areas and elect officers to run the business of the Working Groups:
This diagram illustrates that the four Interdivisional Commissions coordinate activities across the Divisions for their common interests in history, education and outreach, Space Weather and science in developing countries. (Each box in the image is "clickable" and leads to further information.)
A second diagram is provided to indicate how IAGA operates.
Union & Inter-Assocciation Activities
IAGA is also involved in two inter-assocciation activities:
- International Ocean network (ION)
- Working group on Electromagnetic Studies of Earthquakes and Volcanoes (EMSEV)
and six Union Commissions:
- Climatic and Environmental Changes (CCEC); Commission sur les changements climatiques et environnementaux
- Mathematical Geophysics (CMG); Géophysique mathématique
- Geophysical Risk and Sustainability (GRC); Commission sur les risques géophysiques et développement durable
- Study of the Earth's Deep Interior (SEDI); Étude des profondeurs terrestres
- Data and Information (UCDI); Commission pour les Données et l'Information Planetary Sciences (UCPS); Planétologie
Guide for IAGA Officers (pdf, 74kb) (It is stressed that this document is a guide, not a rulebook. It is intended to help IAGA officers know what is expected of them.)
IAGA is administered by an Executive Committee on behalf of IUGG Member Countries in accordance with the Association's Statutes and By-Laws. IAGA communicates with Member Countries through National Correspondents nominated by appropriate national bodies. Member Countries are represented at IAGA Assemblies by accredited Chief Delegates who may vote on matters, according to the voting rules set out in the Statutes and By-Laws, at meetings of the Conference of Delegates.
Previous IAGA Executive Committees
National Correspondents 2015
List of IAGA National Correspondents (pdf, 84 kB)
IAGA finances are reviewed by a Finance Committee appointed in accordance with Statute 11.
Candidates for election to the Executive Committee are selected by a Nominating Committee, appointed in accordance with By-Law 11.
IAGA produces brief Annual Reports to IUGG describing the Association's activities:
1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004.
The Annual Reports available in pdf on this site are those for:
2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018.
Statutes and By-Laws
The English version of the IAGA Statutes and By-Laws, and an explanation of the terms used in them, can be viewed via the following links:
This statutes and by-laws replaced the previous version of
The current Statutes, By-Laws and Glossary can be downloaded here (pdf, 95KB).