Resolution No.2 (2003): 'International Year' and eGY initiatives
- the achievements of the IGY in 1957 launched a dramatic advance in Geospace science and understanding,
- that several International Year concepts are under discussion, including the International Heliophysical Year (IHY) and the International Year of Planet Earth (IYPE),
- that the cutting edge science in IAGA depends on coordinated data characterising the global solar and terrestrial systems,
- that it is central to IAGA's charter to promote international science by encouraging world-wide open access to real-time data, existing data bases, and digitised versions of analogue data,
- the intent of CAWSES (Climate and Weather of the Sun-Earth System) and International Years' activities, and
- such activities be coordinated to maximise their collective effectiveness under an overarching umbrella concept, and
- data archival activities be emphasised under an electronic Geophysical Year (eGY) initiative and maintained thereafter to promote world-wide electronic access to data.